DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Summary: The Atlanta Area Council, Boy Scouts of America serves over 30,000 youth in Metro-Atlanta with a nationally recognized youth leadership program based in the outdoors. With an operating budget of over $12 million, the Council has a diversified stream of revenue which includes funding from an annual operating campaign, six special events, planned giving, and other sources.
The Atlanta Area Council, Boy Scouts of America, located directly across from Truist Park, is
seeking a Development Director to give leadership, direction, and support of fundraising campaigns. This position involves managing individual and corporate gifts, special events, and annual campaigns. If you have experience in non-profit fundraising and development including special event management, we encourage you to apply.
Development Director Responsibilities and Duties:
I. Give leadership to the overall annual operating campaign.
• Provide resources to staff advisors of sub-campaigns including training, guidance, and
• Work with the marketing department on the design of marketing collateral.
• Oversee report meetings.
• Work with the fundraising assistant on reporting from Blackbaud.
II. Give leadership to two special events such as a golf tournament or banquet fundraiser.
• Identify and recruit volunteer leadership and manpower to serve on committee.
• Give leadership to committee by planning committee meetings and providing resources and
• Lead committee to net approximately $300,000 for each event.
• Oversee all event logistics working with vendors and acting as the onsite manager for the day
of the event.
III. Give leadership to Friends of Scouting annual campaign.
• Manage a portfolio of giving prospects.
• Work to develop cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for top prospects, and
• Recruit volunteer leadership and coordinate with the volunteers fundraising efforts to meet
goal of approximately $150,000.
• Oversee logistics of event associated with campaign.
IV. Actively identify prospective individual and corporate donors; volunteer manpower; solicit
funds; cultivate donors.
V. Collaborate with development team and other departments on the management and planning of
fundraising events and donor cultivation events.
Development Director Qualifications and Skills:
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• 4-5 years’ fundraising experience.
• Outstanding written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills
• Detail oriented, adaptable, organized and able to successfully manage multiple projects and
• Ability to work independently, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
• Must be a team player.
• Excellent computer and database skills. Familiarity with Blackbaud or a similar CRM.
• Must be available to work some evenings, weekends and extended hours for meetings and events.